Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2001

The internet is filled today with thoughts about that day and the people who lost their lives, and the survivors who lost friends and family members. I consider myself to be incredibly blessed that everyone I love was safe that day. I know how easy it can be to take that safety for granted.

I think there were many of us who, up until that day, took a lot for granted. Our safety was certainly one thing, but our freedom was another. We are so lucky to live where we do and to have the choices and options that we do. To live, to learn, to worship, to love the way we choose is not a God-given right elsewhere in the world. It's far more unique than any of us want to believe it is.

There's so much that we have to celebrate, and a day like today helps us remember that. It's hard to think of September 11th and celebration in the same sentence. It almost feels insensitive or disrespectful. But we have to celebrate life. We have to. We have to celebrate opportunity. We have to celebrate everything that makes this country and its people great- the things that make us different and the things that bring us together.

Today is a difficult day for many people, for many reasons. Today, I am grateful. I am grateful for my husband and my parents. I am grateful for our family and our friends. I am grateful for the opportunity to make choices. I am grateful to live in a place that allows me to have those freedoms and more. And most importantly, I am grateful that there are people who fight to protect those freedoms and the people that I love.

So today, take some time to be thankful for all that you have, and make sure you tell someone that you love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment