Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thanksgiving Recipe- Sweet Potato Bisque

I know what you're thinking. Thanksgiving? Really? And my answer is- yes, really. I've been a little caught up in the hectic whirl that is the end of the year. But now I have some time to stop and relax and smell the roses. Which means I also have time to get caught up on about two months of blog posts. So, we'll start right about where I left off- Thanksgiving.

I'll have some pictures up tomorrow of the table for both Thanksgivings. Yup, we did two. One we did about two weeks early as a trial run. I'm so glad our friends were willing to be guinea pigs for us! It went great, and we found a few minor twaeks to make before the big day with our parents.

One of the recipes that was a big hit- my Sweet Potatoe Bisque. That's it on the front right corner of the stove.

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Melt butter in 4 quart saucepan. Add the onions and celery, saute for 10 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium. Cover and cook for 25 minutes, until potatoes are very tender. Puree the potatoes with a hand held blender. (I used the immersion blender we got as a wedding present. Love it!) Stir in milk and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt an pepper.

What's nice about this dish is that you can make it the night before and simply warm it up on the stove top when you're getting ready to eat. So simple, but so tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment