Thursday, March 18, 2010

Irish Stew

I made this Irish stew for dinner on St. Patrick's Day. It's simple, and very tasty. Both things that I love. Almost as much as my Irish heritage!

Ingredients

2lbs lamb or beef stew meat (I used beef, but I bet the lamb would be very tasty too)
1.5 lbs potatoes
5 medium onions
parsley and thyme to taste (I also added rosemary)
salt and pepper to taste
1.5 cups water

Directions
Trim the meat and cut inot fairly large pieces. Peel and slice the potatoes and onions. Put layers of potatoes, meat, onion and herbs and seasoning inot a pot, finishing with a layer of potatoes.

Pour the water over the meat and vegetables, and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for about 2 hours or bake in a slow oven at 300F. (I boiled/simmered mine.) Check during cooking, adding more liquid if necessart. Makes 4 servings.

Tip: A good Irish stew should be thick and creamy, not swimming in juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment