Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Sunday: At Least My Menu Was a Winner

Even though his team wasn't in the game, he still took the time to celebrate with friends.


I have to admit, I had a blast getting ready for this party. For the first time, I got to use this cookbook:


It was a Christmas present from my mom. :-) Here's what I love about this book. It gives you a checklist of everything you need for a variety of parties. Holiday parties, dinner parties, theme parties. You get a timeline of all the things that need to be done, from sending out invitations to centerpieces to signature cocktails. There's tips on decor, and a complete menu plan. It makes it super easy to put together a great time. Of course, one of the parties listed is the Super Bowl party.

I didn't do all the things listed as far as decor goes, but I was all about the menu. I won't be posting the recipes, as I'm sure that would put me in violation of some copyright laws. I tend to avoid violations of that nature. Really any nature. I'm what you might call "risk averse." Which is a business-school way of saying I'm a big chicken. It's true.

But I will tell you what was included in the menu:
  • Sugar-and-Spice Pecans
  • Jalapeno Bean Dip
  • Paninis with Chorizo, Green Chiles, and Cheese
  • Chili with Chicken and White Beans
  • Jicama-Citrus Slaw
  • Signature Drink- The Kickoff
We also had some of the Big Guy's pulled pork, and some of your standard party appetizers like a veggie tray, shrimp, and chips and salsa. You'll never be hungry at a party we host. That's just how we roll. Oh, we also had rolls, to go with the chili.

I spent most of Saturday cooking. The pecans, the chili, the bean dip, the slaw were all done the day before. Everything else was prepped (veggies cut, spices measured out, etc) and ready to go. It was so nice to have time on Sunday to enjoy getting ready rather than trying to get everything done at the last minute. It freed us up to do things like buy a George Foreman grill. We were stoked about the paninis, until we remembered that we don't have a panini press. Quick trip out to the store, and voila! Problem solved.

And with so many new recipes, I feel like this puts me closer to where I should be with the goal for one new recipe a week. Maybe we make that an average of one new recipe a week. A few more of the parties from this book, and I'll be right on track!

In the meantime, Loki's got some training to do. The Colts might need him next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment