Wednesday, July 8, 2009

So I'm Stuck in the Elevator

Yup, you read that right. I got in the elevator to go up to my office, and the elevator decided it didn't want to go. So it stopped. And I was stuck. I called our receptionist and asked her to call maintenance to see if they could get me out or if we needed to call the elevator guys directly. She called our buillding's head of maintenance and he came as quickly as he could.

In the meantime two of our AAs came out and were trying to talk to me and keep my mind off of being trapped in a tiny box. I'm claustrophobic, so this was a big help.

Dave, our head of maintenance, arrived and he was able to open the doors to see exactly where the elevator was at. I had about 8 inches of open space where I could have shimmied out, but in reality my butt wouldn't fit through that easily. I opted not to point that out. Dave kept saying "I don't like where it's at." That didn't really add to my comfort.

He had to close the door again so they could manually move the elevator down far enough to get me out safely. There was space and fresh air outside, I could see it, then it was gone. Then I cried. Dave said, "We'll be right back." I said "I'll be here." Humor was necessary to avoid panicking.

Dave and Mike (the elevator guy) get the elevator moved to a better location. They open the doors again and I'm finally out. The whole thing lasted about 30 minutes.

I'm taking the stairs for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment