Monday, February 1, 2010

A Place for Our Guests

One of the rooms that I planned out first was our guest bedroom. I knew that the furniture we'd been using in our bedroom could use some sprucing up- and still dies wuite honestly. There are few surfaces that aren't impacted by puppy teeth and puppy nails in our house and the bed and dresser are no exception.

So we started thinking about what we wanted it to feel like. Since it's a guest room, we definitely want it to be welcoming and comfortable. Once we got to that point, the big guy gave me total control over the space. In his opinion, as long as he doesn't have to sleep there, it can be whatever I want.

Which leads me to my color palette: gray, black, white, and purple with touches of chrome and silver. Very feminine, but hopefully when it's done, very chic as well. I'm tryingto evoke an old Hollywood kind of a feel, and while we've still got a way's to go, I feel like we're on the right track.

Here are some pictures of where we're at right now.


I started with a new duvert cover from SmartBargains.com. I knew I wanted something black and white, and I loved the pattern on this set after seeing it in another blog, You Paid More Than Me. I added a blanket we already had and some purple pillows I found at Michael's. A few more accent pillows were added, this time from Target. If you closely you can see that the gray pillows have tiny black crystals on them. Just a little bit of added sparkle. Then another lamp, also from Target and a new bedside table. The little black parsons table was a nice solution for a while, but ultimately didn't fit the feel of the room, and it was a little too short for the bed. The mattress and box spring are pretty hig. So we spotted this chrome table at Pier 1, and actually managed to get the last one they had in stock. Still need to figure out what to do with the wires, though. And of course, when I found some purple flowers just before my parents got into town for Thanksgiving, I knew they'd be the perfect touch. I love fresh flowers in a guest room.

We still need to paint the walls gray, and figure out what to do on the other side of the bed. I'm debating on what I want to do with the furniture. I know it needs to be repainted, but do I leave it black or paint it white?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment