Wednesday, November 16, 2011

30 Days of Thanks: Day 16- An Experience

If you want change: choose it, leap, act. Don't wait for life to happen to you. Make things happen.
~ via Making Things Happen

The summer after my junior year in college, I had an internship with a small theatre company. In London- Chickenshed Theatre.
It was an amazing experience, one that I wouldn't trade. At first I was nervous, I wasn't sure that I'd get into the program- it was  a study abroad program with Purdue. I think there were about 20 of us who went, and all of us worked with different companies. The way the program was structured, we had two days with class in the morning and four days a week we were working either all day or just in the afternoon.

That left us with 3 day weekends every weekend. Amazing. I spent a weekend in Paris where I actually woke up to the sounds of an accordian playing La Vie en Rose. I swear. I backbacked through Scotland and Ireland.

The theatre company was amazing. Their philosophy is that the arts should be inclusive and that everyone has creativity in them, they just need an opportunity to express that creativity. You can dance in a wheelchair, you can sing a beautiful song even if you can't talk. You can read more about them and what they do on their website. It's amazing.

I'm itching to plan a trip back. I'd love to show the Big Guy where I lived and where I spent my time that summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment